Friday, June 12, 2009

Bermuda! Day 1


Ahh, Bermuda.

The flight in was unreal. The water here is so blue, it blew my mind!

So, I arrived in Bermuda, got through customs alright, hopped on a bus, and went into St. George to meet the Captain of Juno, Shirish Date, at the White Horse, this legendary Bar/restaurant that's been here for ages. After a $6 beverage, which I immediately regretted...but it was cold...I found Shirish, and we hopped in the dinghy to go to Juno, my home for the next month or so.

That's the dinghy...

And that's the deck of Juno from the bow. (Mom, the yellow lines running down the deck are the lines I will be harnessed into when we are underway.)

Do I sound like a sailor or what?

So, the boat:

It's unbelievable for a few reason. 1) How awesome it looks 2) How much stuff is on it 3) How small the space I now live in is. See...

My bunk

My stuff

I know now, more than ever, that this trip will stretch (or compact) me as much as I could've expected. Learning the processes of the boat take time, patience (especially since the 11 and 9 year olds know EVERYTHING about this boat...stupid kids), and a try or two to make sure you get it down. I mean, everything is so different. Food, lingo, the fact that it takes me 5 minutes to flush (flushing has been dubbed “pumping poop”), manners (literally, when it comes to bodily functions, there is NO shame). It's great.

The family:

Shirish – Capitan, writer, sailor, big word user, legend.

MB – Capitana, wife of captain, soo nice. She made me feel right at home.

Orion – This kid is going to cure cancer or something. He's a genius at 11.

Rigel – Just fun. Rambles about who knows what all the time, just to entertain himself. A bit moody, but cool kid.

I think I will like these people.

Anyways, when we got back to the boat, Shirish showed me some of the more common functions (flushing, making fresh water, starting the engine etc.), and we got ready to get some pizza in St. George.

St. George from Juno.

People...I ate a BLT...maybe a $3 sandwich in the U.S. In Bermuda it's $10!!! Yea, I agree, F that.

But seriously Bermuda is very expensive.

So, after eating, we came back to the boat to chill, I unpacked, and we got ready for bed.

Sleeping was hard. I was sweaty, it was muggy, I was burning up, I had to pee (but didn't because it seriously takes effort to flush), but finally I fell asleep...then woke up...then fell asleep...and so on about 6 times. I woke up at 6am...overjoyed. I never thought I'd be that excited to wake up at 6am. The best thing about sleeping the first night was my sheets...

Awesome.

But anyways, with some coffee and oatmeal, I was good to go for the tour of the island!

Side Notes:

1) Gold Bond is a life-saver. Seriously.

2) There is a “Tall Boat” race. By “Tall Boat” I mean like, awesome old pirate ship boats. Like this:

All over the place...So cool. This is actually a US Coast Guard training vessel called the Eagle.

Anyways, until next time.

(This post taken straight from my hand written journal...so enjoy it)

1 comment:

  1. Ben, Sounds like you are having a great time! It also looks like you have two masts on the Juno. Is that right? Great pics !!
    I'm glad everything is going so well so far. Have you met the four new guys they just shipped in from Gitmo yet?? 143 DAD

    ReplyDelete