Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ben Johnson...The Sailor?!?!

If you don't want to read the glorious story below because it's too long...Read This! It has pictures!
So, I leave June 10th from my parents home in Lynchburg to fly to Bermuda...which looks like this...


Amazing...I will be in Bermuda for 5 days, learning about the boat, an Alden 44' (pictures of boat will come from Bermuda) and going on day sails, etc.

So, the 15th of June, 1 day after my 23rd birthday, I will hop aboard this sea going vessel and begin the voyage across the ocean...which apparently looks like this...

Awesome sunset, I hope I see a few.


"Hey, whats that in the distance??? Oh..it's just more freaking ocean..." ( I think I'll say that, with heaps of sarcasm piled on, one time)

And then, after 2-6 weeks, depending on the wind (1850 miles, 50 to 100 miles a day), I will arrive at Horta, Faial, which is in the Azores off the coast of Portugal. They look like this.

This is the Horta, where we will land in Faial. You can see the harbor if you look really close.


This is the view of Mount Pico, on the neighboring Island of Pico, from Horta.

If you can look really close, you can see all of the paintings on the walls of the harbor. An old harbor legend is that if you paint the name of your boat on the walls, you will have good luck sailing...Just another reason to sail...legends.
Well, that's all I'm going to write right this second. I'll catch ya'll up later!

No comments:

Post a Comment